(Think Toddlers and Tiaras…except in real life it’s more like Tinsel and Tantrums)
It’s the start of December dear readers. Crack out the wreaths on the door, the advent calendars and the bare minimum of decorations that hopefully my darling children won’t attempt to pull down or lovingly smash for me. Most of it all is on the highest shelf a 5″2′ mum can muster.
I’m feeling particularly christmassy this year! Maybe its because Delilah is becoming more aware of the whole Christmas thing now or the fact that unlike last year she won’t be poorly! We spent boxing day at the hospital and I was in my first trimester carrying Indy so I couldn’t keep my dinner down nor could I drink all the gin I could get my hands on for New Years. So as first christmas’s go Delilah’s was pretty shit. (admittedly mine was too, big ‘awww’ from other mothers pregnant at Christmas watching all that food and drink on the table and secretly calculating in your head if you’ll REALLY ruin your baby’s life and be the worst mother in the history of ever if you have just one teeny tiny sip of that tonic mix…) Be strong! You can do it!
However this year we are making a point of a more joyous happy day! Another great part of being an adult is we can decide where we want to spend the day, rather than fight over whos family we go to. We’ve decided that we are spending this year with friends which suits us perfectly. They’re like family, we can drink loads, eat every pig in blanket in sight and just have fun. AT LAST GIN AND I CAN MAKE A BEAUTIFUL REUNION. Cue happy tears and drunken karaoke. Hopefully I won’t scar the kids…but after carrying them for nine months and pushing something the size of a melon out of something the size of a lemon I think they kind of owe me this one. Then boxing day will be spent with Paddy’s family. Sorted!
But uh oh. The one thing that can bring it all crashing down. Christmas shopping. The same questions every year. “What does baby want for Christmas then? Something brightly coloured and loud and battery-powered!? Perfect!” Oh dear god no.
Have no fear! I have put together a Christmas wish list to give you some ideas if you are stuck:
Babies (up to 6-9months)
- Personalised bathrobe- perfect for after bath splashes from my1styears.com at £25.00. They can be personalised in a range of colours and ages start from 0-3 months all the way up to 6-7 years. Sooooo soft and snuggly also. Despite the whole screaming the house down at 4am you know you can’t resist those lovely cuddles later on.
- Mamas and papas blanket- despite it being babies first Christmas they don’t understand it and get spoilt rotten (not a bad thing I may add!). It can so overwhelming with tons of toys so something useful is always a winner in my eyes! This lovely blanket from mamas and papas is beautiful.
- On the subject of useful things one of Delilahs first gifts was a fisherprice jumperoo which was so handy because absolutely every baby has one these days! They’re great for little ones learning to stand up and exercise those little legs. They are a bit on the pricey side but it was perfect for her to bob up and down in whilst you frantically shove your make up on/down coffee/wash your pits all at once.
- A lovely little gift is the Maileg fox toy from Liberty (my favourite London shopping location) at £21.50. Its really cute and great for dressing up when they get older.
- I LOVE instagram shops for kids clothes and one of my favourite is a lovely mum who makes beautiful dip dye creations. They look so sweet on the kids! Check out her page Pips Parcels. Her facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/Pips-Parcels-609571329214272/
Toddlers (12 months plus)
- Peter rabbit skittles from baby direct at £16.99 make a lovely gift! (Beware the sudden ball that will rapidly shoot past your head as you’re making up your own Delilah Dinner, but they can keep the kids occupied for hours!)
- A personalised snowman book makes a lovely gift, we had one made for Delilah as she’s become a little bookworm nowadays! Very much worth the £17.99 and are available from penwizard.com
- Indigo jamm scooter- a sweet set of wheels to scoot around the living room or garden! They come in lovely colours and good for a ‘main present’. £56.00
- Backpack- I’m all about the personalised gifts this year. My 1st years do a funky range of bags ready for your toddler to take to nursery (a practical gift if I do say so) £22.00 at http://www.my1styears.com/spaceboy-rucksack.html?gclid=CjwKEAiA94nCBRDxismumrL83icSJAAeeETQQinnRg2rO3tbkrMuBv5H-8d35gvO-ei4Z8hbQQJ-4BoCBIfw_wcB
- Christmas cupcake kit (mamas and papas again!)- the perfect gift for families who actually have a bit of time spare round the holidays to get their aprons on and cook their grandparents some treats! £10.00 at Mamas and Papas
- The rosebud tree house- for the tots who enjoy imaginative play. It’s also half price at mothercare!
- Maileg winter little brother mouse- another Liberty London treat! It’s £16.75 and comes in a box bed SO CUTE!
Gals and fellow mums
- Minnie mouse bauble from Primark (£4.00)- I’ve bought them for my close girls, no girl can say no to anything Disney!
- Ginger Snap A4 Cinematic Lightbox at £14.99 from Robert Dyas. I absolutely love home decor and this really sets out a room whilst letting you add messages for any celebration of the year.
- Pug mug from George at ASDA- only £3.00 so a complete bargain and it’s a PUG MUG!!! (unless you’re a cat person then move along swiftly)
- Considering it’s going to be freezing until basically July this lovely faux fur throw from wilkos.com (of all places to shop I never imaged i’d visit Wilkos but here we are) at only £30.00!
- *HINT FOR PADDY RIGHT HERE* I’m in love with the Vivienne Westwood Lorelei Stud Earrings in copper which are £50 at Urban Outfitters, i’m not a major glitzy jewellery wearer but these are really simple and stylish.
- For your mum free night outs the Fujifim instax polaroid camera is great gift for your mum pals. It’s £64.99 from Argos. You can pick from a huge range of colours too!
- Ariel (Little Mermaid) Christmas socks- because as you get older it’s the present you love and a steal at £3.50 a pair at Topshop http://www.topshop.com/en/tsuk/product/christmas-ariel-socks-5970962?geoip=noredirect&cmpid=ppc_pla_UK_ip&utm_medium=cpc&tsrc=vdna&istCompanyId=38aa0d7f-6514-4cb3-bbdc-df0d32d48b7f&istItemId=xwrtaillxt&istBid=tztx&gclid=CjwKEAiA94nCBRDxismumrL83icSJAAeeETQfsyrL7ep-agkHwXeXMVsko9DqoKMoBw8ylqvHVqwIBoC_Wzw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
- The unmumsy mum book is £9.99 at the moment at Waterstones and a copy is in every present bag I’m giving out to my mum pals. It’s a really relatable book and something to read when hiding from in laws at Christmas. https://www.waterstones.com/book/the-unmumsy-mum/the-unmumsy-mum/9780593076446
Fellas and Fathers (because let’s face it…no-one knows what to get them! Why couldn’t they be more like us and aggressively look and point at things when out shopping!)
- Hawkhurst conditioning gift set from the Brighton Beard Company at £21.00 is an excellent gift if your mans rocking some sexy facial hair (not of the monobrow variety) then a beard oil gift set is PERFECT.
- Beard baubles- equally great and very festive £5.99 from findmeagift.co.uk
- Four Four Two magazine subscription- we all know someone who loves football so a gift that lasts all year (or six months depending on what package you go for) http://www.fourfourtwo-magazine.com/christmas-gift-subscriptions/
- Chocolate brussell sprouts- for £9.95 they are a bit of an expensive stocking filler but none the less an excellent choice and something a bit different.
- Baslager Clothing Co. club sweat- these jumpers are comfy and are a great wear! A steal at £24.00 they do however sell out super fast so grab one fast on restock days. http://www.xn--baslger-8wa.com/product/baslager-club-sweat
Have a good time shopping and at every given opportunity for god sake get them items gift wrapped because your kids will interrupt you every five seconds when you’re frantically try to shove items into gift bags and create fancy bows because your mother in law had fancy bows last year and damnit you will NOT be out-done this year. It’s a Christmas battlefield out there. Enjoy!
Love Sophie, Delilah and Indiana x
Please share and subscribe!
Editor- Eleanor Jones. Contact us if you require edits on any writing.