To all male friends and family. Stop
Reading now. NOW!
Being poorly is never fun but it’s not until you have children whilst being poorly that you long for a day off work tucked up in bed watching Netflix, having naps and not getting out your PJs like the ‘good ol days’. It’s more of a put the kids in front of Ben and Hollys little kingdom and hope they don’t moan whilst you die on the sofa counting down the minutes until your partner gets home.
If anyone didn’t know I have PCOS. It’s not fun and comes with some shitty side affects. But after having the kids I’ve not really suffered much until just after Indiana where I didn’t have a period until March. I did a pregnancy test and prayed for them couple of minutes that I wasn’t pregnant again…. negative, Hmmm? So where’s this period? In that time I went to the doctors 4 times and I barely got anything and got the conclusion that I was stressed and overweight. (This was a main reason for my diet). And then in March my period returned, very angrily. *pre warning this is going to get to the nitty gritty* it was soooo heavy with lots of clots. But in true Mum style fashion I just had to get on with it.
Four weeks passed and there was not much letting up and it was starting to make me very dizzy and queasy. I went to the gym on Thursday for spinning and I came home and fainted, I was also violently sick and went to bed very early. Things weren’t getting much better but then on Sunday I couldn’t stand up without loosing a ton of blood. It was horrendous. I was wearing a tampon and towel and it was still going to my ankles. I was getting freaked out so I called my mum who said to go to bed and sleep it off.
Pat took the kids on an egg hunt and sent me to bed to rest, I tried but then I had another bad show. At this point my home was looking like a scene from Saw and I couldn’t carry on. I called 111 who got me an ambulance and was blue lighted to hospital. I had a drip and was in a bed lined with a lot of towels! After blood tests and six hours wait for the doctor I was given medication to stop the bleeding and it was concluding I wasn’t having a miscarriage but one of the consequences of having PCOS.
I have to rest up for five days to get over it and (hopefully) stop the bleeding. If there’s anything I’ve learned it’s that you have to put yourself first sometimes, they tell you to put your oxygen mask on before anyone else’s on a plane for a reason. Being a Mum isn’t an excuse to neglect yourself and especially your health, last night everyone who I saw kept saying “why didn’t you seek medical attention sooner?!” When in honesty I didn’t want to be poorly, I didn’t have the time or people around me to deal with it.
It’s made us really driven to move closer to family and friends. But I’m very thankful to Pat for taking care of the kids and holding down the fort, also for the horrendous cleaning and washing jobs he had to do. Soz about that.
Also Delilah asked “where mummy gone?” And Pat had to tell her that I’d gone to the shops *cries everywhere*
Will hopefully be better soon!
Love Sophie, Delilah and Indiana x
Being a mum of two under two involves a hell of a lot of lugging around. Who knew such tiny humans needed such a lot of well…STUFF. So I have delved into my nappy bag to show you what I carry!
I scrolled through tonnes of shops online and couldn’t find one I really loved at an affordable price but I did find this gym bag in Primark which I doubled up as a nappy bag. It also matches my black and soft pink Bugaboo Donkey perfectly! Plus it was only £12 (!!!)
- Water wipes- Pre Delilah I would wear lovely sparkly stuff and not have a care in the world what was in my products until whilst pregnant I got a cosmetic allergy and now can only use hypoallergenic products (as only can Delilah). I never knew how much crap was in baby and make up wipes so I was lucky to discover Water Wipes. They are genius! Always carried for bums, messy faces and sticky fingers!
- Nappies- in each size, pretty self explanatory there.
- Water bottle- I am currently dieting (and trying very hard to do so as well) so I need to drink 3 liters per day. It’s also exhausting and thirsty work trying to tame little ones and as I’m prone to fainting (swooning if Tom Hardy is reading the bedtime story) and have been anaemic is pretty important for me to stay hydrated.
- Juice cup- or “JUICEEE!” as Delilah more commonly yells. She only drinks water and on the odd occasion drinks a fruit juice if we are out but they can be pricey if you’re buying one every time you go out so I always carry one for her. She uses a no spill cup from MAM.
- Note pads- Trying to remember absolutely everything is impossible! I jot down blog post inspo, things we need (normally milk) and all them bits and bobs that I can’t remember because sleepless nights are killing my brain. I also adore stationary so there is always a notepad in my shopping basket. I like to pretend I’m organised!
- Toys and books- aka distraction and occupiers whilst I do things, shop etc,.
- Blanket- for nap time snuggles, Indie’s fave is a lovely woollen GAP blanket.
- iPad- for when Delilah has a FULL SCALE meltdown that will only be calmed down by Ben elf, Holly and that fucking rude little lady bird (if you know, you know). I used to look down my nose at parents that shoved electronics in front of their kids whilst they did things. I have come to learn that it isn’t selfish or mind numbing for children, sometimes a little down time is needed and it is perfectly acceptable for parents to want some bloody peace every now and again.
- The ‘me pouch’- the little bag of essentials to keep me tip top during the day (deodrant, spray, hair bands, lippy, medication, tampons) I keep mine in a mere soeur bag, you can grab your’s on this link> https://meresoeur.com/products/girl-gang-pouch
- EMERGENCY CRY STOPPERS- Delilah doesn’t have a dummy during the day anymore and Indie vary rarely has one either but I take one JUST IN CASE.
- Purse- to pay for shit obvs. I used to carry a big mulberry that took up so much room. I have reluctantly opted for a coin purse to wedge my cash, card and boots card in.
- Snacks- Always carry some nibbles for if they are flagging a little. I prepare fresh snacks at home but when I’m on the go we go for Kiddylicious or Goodies!
- Sunglasses- because the sun glare coming off my phone when we are at the park is near on blinding.
What nappy bag do you have and what do you take out with you? Let me know so we can cry over never having any room for anything anymore and carrying a bag the size of a small house around. (At least our upper arm muscles are ripped)
Love Sophie, Delilah and Indiana x
Please share and subscribe!
Editor- Eleanor Jones. Contact us if you require edits on any writing